what is Argan oil?
Argan oil is a plant oil produced from the argan tree (Argania spinosa), which dates back millions of years to the Tertiary Period. Once covering North Africa and parts of southern Europe, it now exists only in Morocco (approximately 2,125,106 acres remain). The argan tree plays a vital role in providing both food and protection against desertification. In 1999, the argan tree was protected as a UNESCO Biosphere Heritage plant. The people of Morocco have used Argan oil for centuries as both a culinary and a cosmetic oil. Production of argan oil is extremely labor-intensive. Tribeswomen harvest and press the oil, and it can take up to 10 hours to crack enough nuts to produce a single quart of oil.
Argan oil contains 80% unsaturated essential fatty acids — omega 3, 6, and 9 — as well as antioxidants, Vitamin E, and saponins which soften the skin. It is effective in treating common skin ailments such as acne, dry skin, wrinkles, and dermatitis by restoring the skin’s water lipid layer. It cools and soothes inflammation and helps to neutralize free radicals.
what are the benefits of argan oil?
ARGAN OIL: THE GEM OF MOROCCAN BEAUTY
Argan oil is at the center of many beauty rituals practiced by Morocco’s most beautiful women. Argan oil is widely renowned for its healing, nourishing, moisturizing and hydrating properties, and imparts many benefits to hair, skin and nails. What makes this oil such a treasure is that it is packed with a wealth of powerful vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids — in fact, it is so rich that only a small amount is needed to gain its maximum healing, nourishing, moisturizing, and hydrating effects.
1. Protects, hydrates and nourishes dry, dull skin – Argan oil is a lightweight oil that is 100% natural and non-irritating to skin, contains no synthetic chemicals, and is safe for all skin types. Argan oil seals in moisture on the skin and can easily be used over the entire body. It is the perfect remedy for cracked, chapped lips. A couple of drops warmed up in your palms work as a great nighttime moisturizer for the face and neck, as well.
2. Great for use on wrinkles, stretch marks and scars, and it also helps to even out skin tone – The Vitamin E and Vitamin A contained in Argan oil make it a perfect choice for improving skin elasticity and toning skin in problem areas. Massage the oil directly into scars and stretch marks. This ritual will even help to reduce fine wrinkles and keep areas around eyes moisturized.
3. Strenghtens and conditions hair, promotes hair growth, conditions the scalp, and adds shine – Argan oil penetrates hair quickly with no greasy feel and no build-up, which makes it the perfect leave-in conditioning treatment. Apply 4 to 8 drops of Argan oil to hair overnight for a deep-conditioning hair treatment. (Remember to cover hair with a shower cap while you sleep to protect linens.) Wash the oil out of your hair in the morning. To promote hair growth, massage 1 to 3 drops onto the scalp to stimulate and condition every inch.
4. Tames frizz and prevents split ends – Apply a few drops of Argan oil into your palm. Rub your hands together and then gently pass them through your hair. Apply evenly through to end of the hair. The proteins in the oil help strengthen the hair and seal split ends. The oil will also seal in moisture and add shine to the hair.
5. Soothe and condition cuticles and strengthen nails – First, clean dry nails and cuticles. Then massage oil directly into cuticles, nails, and the skin around your nails to help prevent dryness and cracking. The skin and cuticles will remain soft and moisturized with continued use.